Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Does anyone know the origin or culture behind the Tarte au Sucre(French Canadian sugar tart)?

I am a former chef and a Canadian and I worked in Montreal for CP hotels back in the 1980's, it is a traditional Quebecoise winter dessert, made when the sap runs in the spring, plus years ago to sugar was an imported product back in the 1700 %26amp; 1800 so the maple syrup was available and is very stable with out refrigeration so it was a common if not readily available ingredient.





I make mine like you would a Lemon merigue by baking the crust blind as the filling is sticky and tends to make the crust soggy, I use evaporated milk, maple syrup and boil the two, cool it beat my eggs, melted butter/margarine, vanilla and a dash of flour add the milk and MPSY mix, and then finish it off in the oven, I sometimes make the lattice top, I have a cutter, but you can do it with a knife. Cook for 30-35 minute at 350 d F to set the filling cool and chill, this is one pie better served slightly chilled to keep the filling from getting to soft.
  • thin hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    virus protection